Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
A slightly sweet dressing with the crunchiness of sugared almonds makes this an outstanding salad! Recipe is requested every time it is served. Found recipe in Woman's Day magazine in 1995.
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml hot pepper sauce
- 236.59 ml sliced almonds
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 473.18 ml chopped celery
- 2 (623.68 g) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced red onion
- Shake first 6 dressing ingredients in a jar and refrigerate.
- Stir almonds and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar melts and starts to caramelize and almonds are very lightly toasted.
- Scrape into metal bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Break up and store covered at room temperature.
- Just before serving, put chopped lettuces in a large bowl.
- Add celery, oranges, onions and almonds.
- Shake dressing well and pour over salad.
- Toss to mix and coat.
It's sweet, it's crunchy, it's like no other salad I've had. Delicious! The red onion, almonds, and oranges make this such a pretty salad. Thanks!
Outstanding Salad! Simple with great light flavors that mix together so....well. I didn't have any almonds so I sugared chopped pecans and they were great. Can't wait to try this out again on guests next time.
Totally Awesome salad! Definitely will make again!