A slightly sweet dressing with the crunchiness of sugared almonds makes this an outstanding salad! Recipe is requested every time it is served. Found recipe in Woman's Day magazine in 1995.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Shake first 6 dressing ingredients in a jar and refrigerate.
- Stir almonds and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar melts and starts to caramelize and almonds are very lightly toasted.
- Scrape into metal bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Break up and store covered at room temperature.
- Just before serving, put chopped lettuces in a large bowl.
- Add celery, oranges, onions and almonds.
- Shake dressing well and pour over salad.
- Toss to mix and coat.