Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom had this at a party and brought the recipe home.Weve been enjoying it ever since!!!
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 head lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 bunch romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, with tops thinly sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
Sweet and Sour dressing
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash red pepper sauce
- Dressing: Shake all ingredients in a tightly covered jar;refrigerate.
- Salad: Cook almonds and sugar over low haest,stirring constanly,until sugar is melted and almonds are coated.
- Cool and break apart.
- Store at room temp.
- Place lettuce and romaine in a plastic bag;add celery and onions.
- Pour sweet and sour dressing in the bag;add orange segments.
- Close bag tightly and shake till coated.
- Add almonds and enjoy!
A very tasty, light salad with a luscious light sweet dressing. I sprinkled a little fresh grated parmigiano reggiano cheese on top. DH and I both enjoyed it a lot, and I'll be making it again.
I have been making this salad for over 30 years and people always request the recipe. I love it not just because it tastes lightly refreshing and looks nice, but also because I have the ingredients on hand and you can do aspects of it the day before. I do the slow melt of sugar and adding the almonds ahead. I also put the greens and celery mixture into a disposable plastic bag the day before. I make the dressing ahead of time. Right before I serve it, I dump the almonds, drained mandarin segments, and onion into the bag, rotate the mixture, dump the salad into into a clear bowl, andnd throw out the bag.
This salad was wonderful light,crisp refreshing! I added (my favorite) cilantro to the dressing! This is a keeper!