Recipe by Wilmom
This came from some cookbook, long ago. I now forget which one, since I copy my favorite recipes to my own cookbook. (Saves me time, not having to search for it!) This salad adds a zest to any meal.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
Wht a refreshing and tasty salad! I tossed in a few extra almonds, but other than that, I stuck to the recipe as written. The addition of the red pepper sauce in the dressing gave that salad a nice kick without overpowering the mild greens and sweet mandarin oranges. Thanks, Wilmom. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 head lettuce
- 1⁄4 bunch romaine lettuce
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 green onions
- 11 ounces mandarin orange segments
SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash red pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly, till sugar is melted and almonds are coated.
- Cool. Break apart. Set aside.
- SWEET 'N' SOUR DRESSING:
- Pour all ingredients into jar with cover. Shake well. (May be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks)
- Thinly slice celery and green onions, including the tops.
- Chop or tear lettuces into bite-sized pieces.
- Place lettuces in plastic bag. Add celery and onions.
- Pour Dressing into bag
- Drain and add orange segments.
- Close bag tightly and shake till lettuce is well coated.
- Arrange in bowl, sprinkle almonds over top.