Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This came from some cookbook, long ago. I now forget which one, since I copy my favorite recipes to my own cookbook. (Saves me time, not having to search for it!) This salad adds a zest to any meal.
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 head lettuce
- 1⁄4 bunch romaine lettuce
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 green onions
- 11 ounces mandarin orange segments
SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash red pepper sauce
- In saucepan, cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly, till sugar is melted and almonds are coated.
- Cool. Break apart. Set aside.
- SWEET 'N' SOUR DRESSING:
- Pour all ingredients into jar with cover. Shake well. (May be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks)
- Thinly slice celery and green onions, including the tops.
- Chop or tear lettuces into bite-sized pieces.
- Place lettuces in plastic bag. Add celery and onions.
- Pour Dressing into bag
- Drain and add orange segments.
- Close bag tightly and shake till lettuce is well coated.
- Arrange in bowl, sprinkle almonds over top.
Wht a refreshing and tasty salad! I tossed in a few extra almonds, but other than that, I stuck to the recipe as written. The addition of the red pepper sauce in the dressing gave that salad a nice kick without overpowering the mild greens and sweet mandarin oranges. Thanks, Wilmom. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
YUMMY! This was a definite crowd pleaser at our luncheon! I used an entire head of ice berg lettuce and a half bunch of romaine. Next time I'll either double the amount of oranges or just slice each one in half to better disperse them throughout the salad. Loved the dressing and the almonds, too. I"m curious to try cashews with it. Will DEFINITELY make this again!