Recipe by Sue Lau
Has a lovely citrus flavor, with very tender meat.
Top Review by lortle
I haven't had much luck with stir-frying in the past, but happily this recipe was an exception! The precise timings listed for cooking each item were a huge help to me - it was great to have a stir-fry with nothing overcooked! I had to substantially reduce the amount of brown bean sauce to avoid killing my BF (he has no tolerance for spice) but even 1 tsp added a wee bit of zing. Really pleasing combination of flavours, I love the shiitake mushrooms and broccoli with the orange. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 lb boneless pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces fresh broccoli, cut into thin spears
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- hot steamed rice
For the Marinade
- 1 tablespoon sake or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a shallow dish.
- Slice pork at an angle in thin medallions and add to marinade, tossing to coat; allow meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or several hours refrigerated.
- Mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix together cornstarch with the 3 tbsp water in a shallow dish and set aside (will be used as a thickener later).
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in wok on med-high heat and add the 4 cloves of minced garlic.
- Allow garlic to sizzle briefly, then add pork, and stir-fry for approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove pork from wok using a slotted spoon and leave any meat juices in the pan.
- Add broccoli to the wok with the pan juices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to the wok along with 1/2 tbsp of oil and stir-fry for another minute.
- Place bamboo shoots and water chestnuts in the wok and mix together, stir-frying an additional minute.
- Return pork to wok, stirring all together, then add contents of sauce bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Re-stir thickener in its little dish before adding to wok, then add it to the stir-fry, stirring until the dish is thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.