Recipe by Carol's Mistletoe Kitchen
I have been making this salad for at least 25 years. I think I got it from my friend, Cloetta. We served it at a church party for over 150. I like to make this the day before and refrigerate, individually, in ziploc bags. When we are ready to eat mix together. (Add chow mein noodles last if desired. I don't use them at all)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 3 tablespoons green onions (some tops)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 (3 ounce) package almonds, toasted
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges (drained)
- 5 ounces chow mein noodles (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, dry and tear lettuce. I like to prepare my lettuce hours earlier and refrigerate in a ziploc bag, so that it will be crisp.
- Wash and chop onions.
- Toast sesame seeds and almonds in small skillet. I don't toast them together.
- Drain mandrian oranges.
- Prepare dressing.
- Mix everything right before serving.
- Add chow mein noodles last minute.