Recipe by kmalavey
This wonderful tossed salad is great for a special salad or even a main course. It's one of my most requested recipes. Omit or increase ingredients to suit your taste. Serves 8 as salad, 4-6 as main dish.
Top Review by jerryjan
This was excellent. I used an arugula/spinach mix instead of romaine, and included quartered artichoke hearts and seasoned croutons. The dressing was great after sitting overnight in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 lb fresh shrimp
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dressing ingredients and let sit over night or at least 3 hours in refrigerator.
- Toast almonds and sesame seeds in frying pan.
- Chop salad into bite-size pieces.
- Slice onion into thin rings.
- Cut avocado into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on avocado if not serving immediately.
- Combine all salad ingredients including drained oranges and shrimp.
- Toss, dress and serve.