Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick and easy sauce to serve with a scoop of ice cream, a piece of sponge cake or fruit cake, or cheesecake. Also good over pancakes, french toast, or crepes. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry if you like. Use fresh peaches in place of the oranges or use canned peaches with some of the juice. You can serve individual servings in wide-mouth wine glasses for pretty presentation. A great last minute dessert. I keep an angel food cake in the freezer and a couple cans of mandarin oranges in the pantry for this dessert for unexpected company.
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, reserve juice
- mandarin orange liquid, from can of oranges and water up to 1-1/3 cup mark
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can frozen concentrated orange juice, undiluted, divided
- Stir the sugar and cornstarch together in heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Drain the mandarin oranges over a 2-cup measuring cup. Add water up to the 1-1/3 cup mark.
- Add liquid mixture to sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add the butter and one half of the can of undiluted orange juice. (Make the rest into orange juice for drinking).
- Add the mandarin oranges and stir gently.
- Heat gently over low heat for a couple of minutes, if desired, stirring occasionally.
I made 1/2 recipe to serve over Polish Pancakes #216557. I used Splenda in place of the sugar and the sauce came out perfect! I can't wait to try this with peaches. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for a winner Burnice!
We had this over ice cream last night ... GREAT! And over pancakes this morning ... EVEN BETTER!! The next day we took 1 cup of this sauce with 1 1/2 scoops vanilla icecream, 1 cup of milk and 7 ice cubes to make a orange cream slush that is very similar to Sonic's. We then made this sauce again and had it on cheesecake. This is a nice tangy sauce, that is super easy, with a ton of uses. Great post, thanks. Hill Family