Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
There are many versions of this salad out there but I couldn't find one exactly like mine here on 'Zaar so I thought I'd throw mine in the mix.
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup sugared pecans
- 8 cups lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- canned mandarin oranges
- For sugared pecans: combine sugar, margarine, orange juice, cinnamon and red pepper and cook to boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Add pecans and coat well. Bake on cookie sheet at 200 degrees for one hour stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely and store in air-tight container.
- For dressing: combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For salad: combine ingredients, adding pecans and oranges last. Add dressing and gently toss.
- Preparation time does not include cooking pecans.
I loved this salad for lunch. It's not as sweet as the typical mandarin orange salad, but was wonderful non the less. I would suggest doubling the pecans because everyone loves them. They are not too sweet and not too spicy. I The oven time dries and toasts the nuts perfectly giving the salad a nice crunch of flavor.
Wonderful salad!!! Just loved the sugared pecans along with the mix of veggies and dressing. I made the pecans and the dressing the day before, so dressing flavors could blend. I followed it exactly as written, except I added some Monterey Jack Shredded cheese to the top. The dressing is on the sweet side (didn't notice the hot sauce) but the pecans have a little zip with the red pepper. Thanks for sharing!! Made for Holiday Tag.