Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have to take advantage of the wonderful hazelnuts grown in Oregon. This salad recipe always hits the spot. Substitute tangerines or navel oranges for the mandarin oranges if you wish. From oregonhazelnuts.org.
- 7 -8 cups mixed greens
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1 cup drained mandarin orange, segments cut into thirds
- 1 cup roasted oregon hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Parsley Dressing: Combine ingredients in non-reactive small bowl and using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Best that salad dressing be prepared at least 1 hour in advance to allow to marinate.
- Carmelized Hazelnuts: In cast iron skillet over medium heat slowly melt 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix hazelnuts, covering well with sugar. Cook until light amber color. Set aside to cool on parchment paper before use.
- Salad: In large salad bowl, toss greens, onions, celery and Mandarin oranges with parsley dressing. Sprinkle with the caramelized hazelnuts.