Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my mom's recipe and is ever present at all holidays in my family. I changed it to make it sugar free and low fat. However, you can add the full fat cream cheese, and full fat Cool Whip if you want. It tastes great both ways. If you want thick servings use a smaller dish, if you want thinner use a bigger dish, you decide.
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package sugar-free jello (orange flavor)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Free
- Dissolve Jello in 1 cup boiling water, and let cool slightly.
- Then, add to cream cheese and beat till well combined.
- Drain pineapple and mandarin oranges and combine with cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Chill in a Pyrex or other glass casserole dish.
- Chilling overnight works best.
- Serve cold.
This was a HIT at Thanksgiving. We were having 19 people and one was diabetic. I wanted to do something that would taste good that he could eat too. Everyone LOVED it. It was also very easy. I mistakenly did not get enough mandarin oranges(got the ones sweetened with splenda). I added a little more pineapple(in unsweetened juice). Next time I will get more oranges and put them on the top too to make it look prettier. The color was wonderful though.
This was so refreshing to the pallet and simple to make. Delicious Just what I've been looking for. Thanks Edward and Edward's mom!! This is going in my "Salad Bar" cookbook.
I love these sorts of things, especially in the heat of summer! I used the sugar free jello and light cream cheese & coolwhip. I had two large cans of mandarin oranges and assumed that's what was called for. As I was looking at the mix I thought "mini marshmallows" and so I threw in a few handful of those. This was a nice dinner side dish and will be enjoyed as a treat here for a few days. Thanks!