Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
A nice light salad, that always gets many compliments when served.
Make and share this Mandarin Orange Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 green onions
- 1 can mandarin orange (11oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 6 teaspoons white sugar
- Combine 1/4 cup white sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and oil.
- Heat until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile cook almonds and 6 tsp.
- sugar over med-low heat in saucepan stirring constantly until sugar melts and almonds coated.
- Cool and break apart.
- Break apart lettuces into bite size pieces.
- Add thinly sliced celery, cut on diagonal and thinly sliced green onions.
- 5 minutes before serving toss with drained mandarin oranges, sugared almonds and cooled dressing.
- If desired can add a few pieces of chunked pineapple and top with a few crunchy chow mein noodles.
I doubled the recipe, and thought the dressing was too abundant. I`m sure I will make this again, but will use half the amount of dressing, as once the lettuce wilts into it, the result is quite the soupy mess! Still a great recipe. I followed it exactly, something I rarely do! :)
Really good stuff! I loved the almond slivers this way, super easy too!
This salad was REALLY good. The dressing was the right amount of sweetness and I particularly enjoyed the crunch of the celery. I made this at the last minute and it turned out to be the best part of the meal! Thanks Donna, for posting.