Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is so good you will feel like you are eating a dessert and not a salad.When I make this the bowl always comes home empty.I received this recipe from my older sister and I have been making it ever since.People that try it always ask for the recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup real tapioca (soaked in enough water to cover for 1/2 hour then drain)
- 1 (3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) boxcook vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 1 box tapioca pudding
- 3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 2 cans mandarin oranges (drained)
- In a medium saucepan combine orange jello,vanilla pudding,tapioca pudding and three cups of water.
- Cook until mixture thickens and boils.
- Take off heat and add the pearl tapioca that were soaking.
- Stir well.
- Place this mixture into a large bowl and place in refrigerator overnight (this is a must in order to set properly).
- In the morning fold in mandarin oranges and the coolwhip.
- Let stand in refrigerator for a few hours and then serve.
By real tapioca, I think the ingredient is instant tapioca. I used small pearl tapioca which required an overnight soak and then a full 1/2 hour simmer before I added them to the jelled mixture. The pearls take on the color of the jello and are really very pretty after adding the Cool Whip. They look like little orange beads in the fluff. I served this for Christmas eve and everyone liked it so much that the leftover had to be divided for take home. This will definitely be one of my go-to jello salads. Thank you so much for sharing!
this is a very light dessert to top of any meal. The orange flavor is light and refreshing yet not too strong.
Delicious! I like my jello salad lumpy. I added coconut too.