Recipe by licked_cupcake
This recipe is incredibly simple, and incredibly delicious.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
I made this cake with some changes to the ingredients to make it diabetic friendly. I used sugar-free substitutes for the yellow cake mix, frozen whipped topping and vanilla instant pudding. I also used unsweetened applesauce in place of the 1/3 cup of oil. This recipe is super, super easy to throw together, smells terrific and is moist and very tasty. I took it to work to share with my coworkers and everyone loved it. They were very surprised to find out that it was almost sugar free (the only sugars were from the canned fruit). I will be making this again for some of our summer cookouts. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2014.
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges in juice
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 9 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 1⁄2 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the yellow cake mix according to the directions on the box, EXCEPT substitute the can of mandarin oranges (with juice) for the water. Beat the mandarin oranges in with the other ingredients with an electric hand mixer. Bake according to directions.
- To make the topping, stir together canned crushed pineapple (with juice), thawed whipped topping, and vanilla pudding mix. Spread over cake evenly once the cake has cooled.