Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another of Betty Crocker's Most Requested Recipes. Refrigeration of 8-24 hours needed on this one.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 10 slices French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (9 cups)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- powdered sugar, if desired
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade, heated
- Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat first seven (7) ingredients together until smooth. Stir in bread cubes until coated.
- Pour bread mixture into casserole. Top evenly with orange segments. Cover. Refrigerated at least 8 hours but no longer that 24.
- Heat oven to 400°. Uncover bread mixture and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with orange marmalade.
This tasted just like French Toast but was easy to make for a crowd. I served with real maple syrup, instead of the orange marmalade. Next time, I might add some cinnamon. And more oranges might be tastier.
This is another recipe I cut in half for the 2 of us to enjoy! Also left out the granulated AND the powdered sugar, while using a nutty, whole grain bread! Other than that, though . . . The orange marmalade & the mandarin oranges made it sweet enough for us ~ Very satisfying! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]
My picky dh loved this french toast recipe, it was a wonderful surprise. The french toast was full of flavor, was tender and very delicious. Dessert for breakfast, what a treat. Garnished this gem with a little icing sugar. Thanks for sharing Julie B's Hive.