Prep 10 mins
Cook 21 mins
Cool and refreshing
- 1 white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 (6 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and oranges.
- Beat on high about 6 minutes.
- Put in round pans, very well greased and floured.
- Bake 15 minutes 325 degrees.
- Let cool.
- mix pudding with pineapple with juice, fold in a large bowl of cool whip.
- Top cake with this.
- NOTES: Refrigerate.
After 15 minutes of baking, my cakes were soupy in the middle. This must be a type....maybe bake for 25 or 35 minutes????
This is very similar to a recipe that's been handed down in my family for a long time and I've never come across it anywhere else. We call it "Piggy Good Eating Cake" and it's a birthday favorite, especially for summer birthdays. It's a little different, primarily in that we use a yellow cake mix and use cream cheese in our frosting. We also put pineapple & mandarin oranges in the cake and the frosting. It's so good with just the right amount of sweetness and the fruit makes it so light and flavorful. We decorate the top with mandarin oranges and sometimes some marachino cherries as well. It's very yummy and different from the average cake.
This is my husband's favorite cake-it is light, not overly sweet, and refreshingly 'fruity'. His grandmother makes it and her recipe calls it a "Sunrise" cake. She uses yellow or butter recipe cake mix-I find that has a prettier color to complement the bits of mandarin oranges