Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delightfully different chicken salad made with grapes, mandarin oranges and toasted almonds. Prep and cook time does not include the cooking of the chicken.
- 3 cups cut up cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Combine chicken, onion, salt, lemon and celery and refrigerate for several hours.
- At serving time, toss chicken carefully with grapes, oranges, almonds and mayonnaise.
I got raves from my co-workers when I brought this in for our St Patty's day potlock. What is different about it is that it is not gummy or goopy or overly sweet as some chicken salads can be. I did change a few things: In keeping with our green theme, I used green onions versus the regular onions called for- I used about 6 of them. I also used double the mayo-2/3 cup because I had about 4 cups of chicken. As you suggested, I let the chicken cubes, onion, salt, celery and lemon juice sit overnight in the fridge, but before I did, I mixed in about a TBS of dry ranch dressing, to which I am addicted.Thanks Marie, I'll be making this one again!
This was a terrific salad. Something different from the norm that I made for dinner last night. Loved the grapes and mandarin oranges. Thank you Marie !