Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
From Southern Living Cookbook 1987 The caption beside the photo says: "Mandarin Chicken Salad is a blend of the traditional chicken salad ingredients with fruits and nuts. It's fancy enough for company."
Top Review by ACMonty
This recipe is worth all 5 stars! I have been trying to eat healthier. I took this recipe, used light mayo, grilled the chicken with a very little amount of EVOO (quicker than baking), and added half the serving size on top of a romaine salad with chopped celery already in the salad. Tomorrow for lunch, I plan to have the same, but add extra grapes and mandarin on the side. I rarely like a salad that doesn't have cheese, but this has lots of flavor!!
- 709.77 ml diced cooked chicken (see directions)
- 236.59 ml diced celery
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml minced onion
- 2.46 ml salt
- 78.07 ml mayonnaise
- 236.59 ml green seedless grape
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges, drained
- 56.69 g package slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 leaf lettuce
- additional mandarin orange section (optional)
- clusters green grape (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- I recommend baked chicken for the salad. Heat oven to 350 degrees - sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then after it's cooled a bit, chop chicken and sprinkle with olive oil (if I have chicken with skin, I skip the oil). Bake until done then after it's cooled a bit, chop chicken.
- After you have cooked the chicken, combine the first 5 ingredients; stir well. Cover and chill.
- Add mayonnaise, grapes, oranges, and almonds to chicken mixture; toss well. Serve on lettuce. Garnish with additional orange slices and grape clusters, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.