Recipe by Ms B.
A very impressive cold appetizer. The color of the oranges and spinach really brighten up a buffet table. My guests loved this appetizer and devoured them all. Adapted slightly from a Creme de Colorado cookbook.
Top Review by Ilysse
Rather than doing this as an appetizer I made this into a tossed salad and served it for dinner. I really enjoyed this. The dip (dressing in this case) was very good and I used light mayo and sour cream. I didn't blanch the spinach but tossed it raw in a bowl and added arugula to the mix which was really good. I loved this as a salad and will make this again. Its a nice summer meal. Toasted almonds might be a nice addition to the salad as would lo mein noodles and serve with a good bread. I will be using this recipe as posted for my next cocktail party tho. Wonderful recipe, thanks so much for posting it.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and stemmed
- 8 cups boiling water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a 10-inch skillet, combine chicken cubes, broth, soy sauce and Worcestershire.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is fork-tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth and let cool slightly.
- Place spinach leaves in a colander.
- Pour boiling water over leaves.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place a cube of chicken at stem end of a spinach leaf and wrap leaf around chicken so that chicken still shows on sides.
- Secure end of leaf with a wooden pick.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- (Recipe can be prepared up to this point one day ahead.) To serve, place one mandarin orange at the end of each wooden pick.
- Serve with Curry Mayonnaise Dip (recipe follows).
- Curry Mayonnaise Dip: Blend all ingredients and refrigerate to allow flavors to mature.