Recipe by Doanique
Similar to sweet and sour chicken but uses mandarin oranges instead of pineapple. A very easy recipe to make.
Top Review by MeLindeigh
If you're looking to eat ketchup over your rice, then this is the recipe for you. Too bad I wasn't. It was gross. Ketchup and vinegar, hhmm...NOT! However, I had to give it a two because the breaded chicken was pretty good...if you don't put it in the sauce and just eat it on the side. If you're looking for MANDARIN chicken recipe, this isn't it.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs, beaten
- canola oil (enough for frying)
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, reserve 6 tbsp syrup from oranges
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and ginger in a bowl.
- Dredge chicken in egg and then seasoned flour.
- In a large frying pan or wok heat canola oil and fry chicken until golden brown.
- Set chicken aside.
- In another large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Sautee onion and peppers until slightly softened.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and salt.
- Blend cornstarch and mandarin orange syrup. Stir into sauce.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add chicken to sauce. Stir and heat through.
- Add mandarin oranges.