I can't wait to make this one! It sounds really different with the addition of tomatoes in the sauce, ...another church recipe book find.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup ice water
- 1 egg
- yellow food coloring
- ice cube
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 slice fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Tempura Batter:.
- Chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Beat egg slightly and mix with ice water to which a few drops of yellow food coloring have been added.
- Add flour mixture and stir only until blended.
- Float ice cubes in batter, dip chicken and fry in deep fryer.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes, covered.
- Thicken with cornstarch and water paste.
- Cover chicken with sauce.
- Serve over rice.
Very good flavor. Loved the chicken. I did use my hand blender to puree the sauce before adding the cornstarch and water paste. Also didn't use all the sugar, it sounded like a lot for two serving. I had lots of the batter left over so would cut that in half or use more chicken.
Ah, we just had this wonderful dish for dinner and already planning on having it again soon. It is very addictive to the taste buds but that is a good thing. The recipe stands as is! Awesome.