Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another Mandarin Almond Salad. Only slightly different from the one Inez posted. Can't go wrong with either one. This is good stuff!
- In a large bowl, combine the Romaine, drained oranges, and chopped onions.
- Heat sugar and almonds in a pan over medium heat until sugar melts and coats almonds; stir and heat until almonds are slightly brown.
- Turn onto plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake vigorously.
- Pour salad dressing over lettuce mixture; toss.
- Sprinkle with sugared almonds.
Thanks Ginny for a great recipe. I served this to company and they finished off the bowl. The only thing I omitted was the red pepper flakes. This was so delicious, I can't wait to make it again.
Yum! I loved this salad! I have made this salad twice now. The only thing I did different was to "toast" my almonds in the microwave, by ading 1 tbsp of butter along with the sugar and microwaving them for 30 second intervals until they were golden brown. The second time I used Splenda instead of the sugar and it still turned out great!
A quick, refreshing salad to make at the last minute. I used the juice from the mandarin orange can as suggested by another reviewer and toasted the almond slices. The only thing I would change, a personal preference is to add some mayo or dijon mustard to the dressing to make it a little thicker. Thanks, Carole in Orlando