Recipe by MizzNezz
A very different salad that will have them asking for more!
Top Review by Just Call Me Martha
Excellent Salad! It's a little bit out of the ordinary and it's very appealing to the eye. I have made this many times and have substituted both romaine and/or baby spinach with excellent results. It's great to take to a pot luck as well - just throw all the greens into a plastic bag and just before serving, toss in the almonds, mandarins and dressing. Give the bag a good shake and you're good to go. Thanks MizzNezz!
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch red lettuce, torn
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 small red onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet, melt 3 T sugar on low heat.
- Add almonds; stir until coated.
- Cool, break into small pieces and set aside.
- In a jar with tight lid, mix oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining 1 T sugar.
- Shake well.
- Combine lettuce, oranges, onion and almonds in salad bowl.
- Shake dressing;,pour over salad and toss.