Recipe by Ninna
This make a great dessert for a dinner party - cut into a diagonal slice and served with strawberry couli and thick cream. It was given to me by Sue, an old friend over 30 years ago.
- 1 (310 g) can mandarin segments
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 325 g puff pastry (use ready rolled if available)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain mandarins well, chop 2/3 and reserve remainder for decoration.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light, stir in ground almonds, cinnamon, sultanas and chopped mandarin.
- Roll out pastry, or use ready rolled, on tea towel into 9” by 12” rectangle.
- Spoon almond, mandarin mixture down centre of pastry, fold one of the longer sides to centre, brush one edge with water and overlap 1” and seal, moisten ends and seal.
- Place on baking paper lined tray and brush with egg white, lightly beaten.
- Combine water, almonds and castor sugar, stir until almonds are coated then spoon over or down centre of log and bake 30 mins at 180 deg C (350 deg F) or until golden brown.
- Cool and decorate with cream and the remaining mandarin segments.