Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Courtesy of the Indigo Restaurant in Honolulu, Hawaii. These small pizzas feature sweet caramelized onions, spicy chicken, and mozzarella, Swiss and provolone cheeses. Refrigerated pizza dough is used here to simplify the recipe. Note: Chili-garlic sauce can be substituted for the Thai chili sauce if necessary. You can also sub chicken breast meat for the chicken thighs, if you desire.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic, plus
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons thai hot chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 20 ounces tubes refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until onions are dark brown, about 25 minutes.
- Add sugar, vinegar and 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic; stir until liquid evaporates and onions are well glazed, about 2 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chili sauce and sauté 1 minute.
- Remove chicken from heat.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with flour. Stretch dough from 1 tube to 12x8-inch rectangle.
- Cut crosswise in half, forming two 6x8-inch rectangles.
- Cut off corners of each rectangle, forming oval.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Repeat stretching and cutting with remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, about 8 minutes.
- Mix mozzarella, Swiss and provolone cheeses in large bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture, tomatoes, onions, chicken and remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro over pizzas, dividing equally.
- Bake pizzas until cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer.
This was fabulous! I halved the recipe and left the crusts rectangular (because I'm lazy and I didn't want to waste the dough), but other than that I didn't make any changes. Oh, and I cut back on the amount of oil by using an olive oil spray as a replacement for half of what was called for. I think next time I would double the amount of onion and carmelizing ingredients, along with extra tomato. I used one red onion, sliced thinly on the mandolin, and 2 tomatoes, diced, and I think I would have liked more to have a better coverage of the crust, especially because there is no sauce on the crust. The sweetness of the onions was a pleasant offset to the spiciness of the chicken and I think I would have liked more of that. Even DBF, who holds onions in the same regard an 8-year-old might, enjoyed the onions enough to say that he would like more of them next time. And there will definitely be a next time! Thanks Juenessa!