Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
DS#2 is a Manchester United fan so - just for fun - I looked for a recipe from that region of England. As a result, I stumbled upon a recipe (from the England travel website justuk.org) for this delicious tart - and received smiles from a happy Man U fan!
- 8 ounces puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 4 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- 10 fluid ounces milk
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 ounces icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 10-inch, deep tart/flan dish.
- Spread the jam over the pastry.
- Place the breadcrumbs, butter, caster sugar and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture over the jam and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the icing sugar.
- Remove the tart from the oven and reduce the temperature to 140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1.
- Spread the meringue mixture evenly over the top of the tart.
- Return tart to the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes until the meringue turns a light golden brown.
- Serve warm.