Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The basic recipe is from Gary Rhodes, but I changed a few things.
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly spray six 3-inch souffle dishes with Pam (or butter them).
- Bring milk and lemon zest to boil and remove from heat.
- Let steep 15 minutes.
- Strain to remove zest and add butter and sugar.
- Bring back to simmer and and remove from heat.
- Add breadcrumbs and let cool slightly.
- Whisk a bit of hot mixture to egg yolks to temper and then add eggs into milk/breadcrumbs.
- Pour mix into the six souffle dishs and place in roasting pan.
- Pour hot water in pan until water reaches half way up the souffle dishes.
- Bake in oven for 30- 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from water bath.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam over top of each pudding.
- For meringue: combine egg whites with cream of tartar.
- Beat until frothy and then add sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top puddings with meringue and place in oven.
- Bake until meringue is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Watch carefully.