Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
a la Rachael Ray-- Manchego cheese, from Spain, can be found at Trader Joe's among other markets. These are pretty darned good... I can envision sauteed leeks in the mix as well.
- 4 lbs baby red potatoes or 4 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk or 3⁄4-1 cup cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded manchego cheese, about 3/4 to 1 pound of cheese
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve large potatoes, small ones can be left whole.
- Place potatoes in a deep pot, cover with water. Place a lid on potatoes and bring them up to a boil.
- Uncover, salt the water and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot. Add butter, milk or cream and cheese and smash the potatoes to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.