Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Manchamanteles literally translates as "tablecloth stainer" because of its red chili color and stew consistency. Delicious too.
- 100 g blanched almonds
- 100 g peeled pistachios
- 100 g shelled skinned peanuts
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g sesame seeds
- 1 lb ancho chili, seeded and deveined
- 1 lb pasilla chile, seeded and deveined
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 mexican bolillo bread
- 1⁄4 lb lard
- 1 turkey, in pieces
- 2 cups turkey broth
- 1⁄2 fresh peeled pineapple, in chunks
- 5 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 pieces mexican chocolate (or more according to your taste)
- 1 peeled and sliced plantain
- Fry the first five ingredients in some of the lard until they are toasted and browned.
- On same melted lard toast the deveined chillies, the spices and process in blender together.
- Next, fry-toast the tortillas and bolillos.
- Process again with previous mixture, and fry on remaining lard.
- Add salt, turkey broth, chocolate tablets and the fruits and the pieced turkey.
- Simmer until chocolate melts and fruits are cooked but not mushy.
- Serve hot.