Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had just got home from work one afternoon, and was just sitting down to have a bowl of this "Italian Meatball And Potatoe Bake", that I got out of the new Pillsbury hamburger cook booklet(it was good), when I get a phone call from my mother saying that she wanted to have a BBQ the next day for the family that lives in the area. Only one catch, though...she wasn't cookin, lol. So I run out to the local Giant (I love the new one they built in my town), and started trying to figure out what I was going to make. This is one of the dishes. I'm very proud of it because I would consider it my best mac n' cheese recipe ever. I hope you like it! !!!P.S!!! Don't be scared to half the recipe. It will turn out fine! :)
- 2 lbs wagon wheel macaroni (You can use anything, but kids really like this pasta)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons morton natural seasoning (or salt and pepper)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups cracker barrel extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I used the whole stick of cheese, but I don't remember the ounces)
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta until al dente' in boiling, salted water; drain, and set aset.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk for about 3 minutes, or until it smells nutty.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, milk, dry milk, seasonings, and dry mustard; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheeses.
- Stir into pasta and serve**.
- **Tohave baked mac n' cheese: pour evenly into 2 9"-13" baking pans, sprinkle with more cheese (any kind will do), bake in a 350F oven for about 15 minutes or until the top is nice and bubbling.