Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Mammaw's Recipe, and if you try this one you will make it again and again. It's so good! Enjoy!
- 3 lbs idaho potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup sweet onion (finely diced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (finely diced)
- 6 large eggs (boiled, dice only 4 eggs for the salad and slice and save 2 for the top.)
- 1⁄4 cup diced pimento (but adds color, it's not enough to add any flavor.) (optional)
- 1 cup sweet gherkins (diced) or 1 cup relish (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard (just for color, adds no flavor.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip (depends on how thick you like it.)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for the top.)
- Boil potatoes until they are tender but firm, do not over cook or the salad will be like mashed potatoes.
- Drain potatoes immediately and let them cool completely.
- Add (to the cooled potatoes) all other ingredients.
- Toss lightly until thoroughly mixed making sure not to mash the potatoes.
- Top the salad with the sliced eggs and sprinkle with Paprika.
- We love it while it's still warm.
- Refrigerate if you like it cold for 2 hours.
This is by far the best potato salad out there!! Its ALWAYS a HUGE hit. Its my "go to" recipe to take to parties.
Just made this for the 4th celebration tomorrow, can't wait to unveil it. I upped the serving to 12 people, cooked a pound of thick sliced bacon, diced it, and sprinkled it over the sliced eggs on top.
Very easy to prepare, I had small red potato's on hand so I just cut them in fours and boiled. It looks great and tastes great. Highly recommend!