Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Mammaw's Recipe, and if you try this one you will make it again and again. It's so good! Enjoy!
Make and share this Mammaw's Southern Style Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs idaho potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup sweet onion (finely diced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (finely diced)
- 6 large eggs (boiled, dice only 4 eggs for the salad and slice and save 2 for the top.)
- 1⁄4 cup diced pimento (but adds color, it's not enough to add any flavor.) (optional)
- 1 cup sweet gherkins (diced) or 1 cup relish (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard (just for color, adds no flavor.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip (depends on how thick you like it.)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for the top.)
- Boil potatoes until they are tender but firm, do not over cook or the salad will be like mashed potatoes.
- Drain potatoes immediately and let them cool completely.
- Add (to the cooled potatoes) all other ingredients.
- Toss lightly until thoroughly mixed making sure not to mash the potatoes.
- Top the salad with the sliced eggs and sprinkle with Paprika.
- We love it while it's still warm.
- Refrigerate if you like it cold for 2 hours.
This is by far the best potato salad out there!! Its ALWAYS a HUGE hit. Its my "go to" recipe to take to parties.
Just made this for the 4th celebration tomorrow, can't wait to unveil it. I upped the serving to 12 people, cooked a pound of thick sliced bacon, diced it, and sprinkled it over the sliced eggs on top.
Very easy to prepare, I had small red potato's on hand so I just cut them in fours and boiled. It looks great and tastes great. Highly recommend!