Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This pie is famous in our family! My dear mammaw has passed away but she taught me how to make this pie, and even my own mother can't do it like I do! So I am elected to make it for every holiday and special occaision. VERY IMPORTANT: this was from my mammaw's memory so for the flour it is very important to use a large silverware spoon (not a measuring tablespoon) and dip it into the flour and pull straight up with as much flour on the spoon piled up as high as possible.
- 1 pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour (HEAPING)
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or maple flavoring)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Mix sugars, salt and flour in top of double boiler,
- add milk slowly until
- Cook until hot then add hot mixture a spoonful at a time to egg
- yolks then add yolk mixture back into hot while stirring and cook until
- Remove from heat and add margarine and vanilla.
- Let cool and pour
- into browned crust.
- Top with meringue and brown in oven.
- In bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form
- or about one minute.
- Gradually add the sugar about 1 T. at a time, beating
- at high speed about 4 minutes more or until mixture forms stiff, glossy
- peaks and sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread over pie, carefully
- sealing edges to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake at directed in pie recipe.