Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Dom DeLuise. This can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. You can either chop the mushroom stems and add them to the filling, or set them aside for another dish.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 5 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 lb whole mushroom, stems removed
- 6 -10 tablespoons chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat oil in a skillet and gently brown the garlic.
- Crumble the sausage into the pan and brown it.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and egg.
- Add sausage to bowl and mix well.
- Fill mushroom caps with stuffing.
- Place mushrooms in a baking pan lined with foil.
- Add a little chicken stock to the pan to keep the mushrooms from drying out.
- Bake for 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the mushrooms.
- Serve hot.
We loved these terrific mushrooms! I used turkey sausage with good results. The addition of just the small amount of chicken broth seemed to keep the mushrooms from shriveling up. We enjoyed these as a main course with some pasta. Thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011