Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful dish!
- 6 -8 bell peppers (I use all different colors)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup v 8 vegetable juice (optional)
- Cup top of peppers out and clean out the spines. Blanch for 10 minutes in boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- In sauce pan, saute 1 cup onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine rice ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt. Add beef and sausage; mix well trying not to "squeeze" the meat. Pour half of the tomato sauce mixture into a baking dish large enough to house all the peppers. Stuff the peppers with meat mixture and place into the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over the peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes (cooking times can vary greatly depending on the size of the peppers!). You'll want to check them often towards the end to be certain they don't burn. The tops should be crisp but not burnt. Sometimes I pull them out and top them with a slice of Meunster cheese each. These are really great served with rye/pumpernickle striped bread. Enjoy!