Recipe by Chocolatl
That's Dom DeLuise's Mamma. The recipe originated in Spinosa, Italy. If you want a carnivorous variation, you can some spareribs and/or Italian sausages with the garlic, and brown well before adding anything else. To make this completely vegetarian, use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. You can add water or a little more broth if the soup is too thick. Serve with hot Italian bread.
Top Review by Karen D.
The first time I made this I bought endive instead of escarole and it was great. I use escarole now and it is just as good. I added a little Andouille sausage to spice it up since I'm Cajun and all :) I make this soup when I am a bit under the weather and I believe it has magical healing powers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced (optional)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 heads escarole, washed and coarsely chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the garlic.
- Add onion, carrots, and potato (if using). Cook 1 minute.
- Add broth.
- Add escarole, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese.