Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A from scratch recipe that freezes well. I learned how to make it in graduate school; we were all broke, so my friends pitched in with ingredients. It has never failed to please family and guests.
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Brown meat.
- Add next 5 ingredients. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and spread noodles out to cool on wax paper.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except Mozzarella and oil.
- Spread olive oil on bottom of 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Place half noodles in bottom, overlapping slightly.
- Spread 1/2 Ricotta on noodles, using fingers.
- Sprinkle scant half of Mozzarella over all.
- Spread 1/2 meat sauce over all.
- Repeat layers, saving a little Mozzarella for the top.
- Bake 30 minutes at 375°F.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then cut.
- May assemble early, refrigerate; then allow 15 minutes longer in oven.