2 hrs 15 mins
This is a delicious "meal in a bowl" minestrone soup. This version tastes better made a day or two ahead of time and then reheated. This recipe was submitted by a friend of my in a church cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb pepperoni, rind removed and chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 carrots, pared and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage or 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, with juice,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (19 ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained (white kidney beans)
- granted parmesan cheese
- 1In a small saucepan simmer the pepperoni, in water to cover, for 5 minues: drain off water.
- 2In large soup pot saute the pepperoni, onion and garlic in vegetable oil, stirring till veggies are clear.
- 3Add the carrots, celery, zucchini and cabbage.
- 4Cook and stir for 2- 3 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes and juice, salt and beef broth, then add basil and thyme.
- 6Cover and simmer at least 2 hours.
- 7Taste soup and add water or more broth if needed, and correct seasoning.
- 8Add the drained beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 9This soup will be rather thick.
- 10Serve in soup bowls, topped with grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamma Mia Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2364.8
- Calories from Fat 1138
- Total Fat 126.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 135.8 mg
- Sodium 6324.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 226.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 59.7 g
- Sugars 48.7 g
- Protein 101.6 g