Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This is a delicious "meal in a bowl" minestrone soup. This version tastes better made a day or two ahead of time and then reheated. This recipe was submitted by a friend of my in a church cookbook.
- 1⁄4 lb pepperoni, rind removed and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 carrots, pared and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage or 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, with juice,chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (19 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, drained (white kidney beans)
- granted parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan simmer the pepperoni, in water to cover, for 5 minues: drain off water.
- In large soup pot saute the pepperoni, onion and garlic in vegetable oil, stirring till veggies are clear.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini and cabbage.
- Cook and stir for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, salt and beef broth, then add basil and thyme.
- Cover and simmer at least 2 hours.
- Taste soup and add water or more broth if needed, and correct seasoning.
- Add the drained beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- This soup will be rather thick.
- Serve in soup bowls, topped with grated parmesan cheese.