2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My mother clipped this recipe out of USA Weekend back in 1993 - it was always the sauce she made while I was growing up (it's a recipe by Kathie Lee Gifford). Now that I cook myself, I've taken the recipe and adapted it to a few of my own 'likes' and now use this as my sauce for pasta, lasagna and ravioli! Can't be beat! (this recipe freezes very well!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried parsley (yes, 1 cup!)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (if needed)
- 1In large saucepan or Dutch oven (at least 6 quarts), brown ground beef until no longer pink; drain.
- 2Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- 3Reduce heat; simmer for 2-3 hours (the longer the better for my own tastes), stirring occasionally.
- 4If sauce tastes a little on the acidic side (from tomato sauce/paste), add the sugar.
- 5Serve over pasta!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamma Mia Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (4801 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.3
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 3600.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 40.1 g