1 hr 30 mins
deb k's Note:
This was my neighbors mother's recipe (my adopted grandmother) I found it after my mother died, tucked away, and thought I had hit pay dirt (this was my favorite chicken pie growing up!) It's a little time consuming but the best I have ever had! She was the by far the classiest Southern lady you ever wanted to meet. (BTW, I have never had a Southern Chicken Pie that contained veggies... it's always just a pure chicken delight!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large fryer chicken
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- ice water, to hold together
- 1Boil a large fryer in water to barely cover with a little grated onion, salt and pepper until done.
- 2Remove meat from bones, discarding skin and gristle.
- 3Strain stock and use for gravy.
- 4Gravy: Place stock in pan with milk.
- 5Thicken with flour which has been thinned with a little cold milk.
- 6Cook until it is as thick as heavy cream.
- 7Strain while boiling hot and pour over chopped chicken.
- 8(I have never had to strain it if you constantly stir it while thickening).
- 9Pie Crust: Mix all ingredients, adding egg and ice water last.
- 10Line a 11x14 baking dish with thinly rolled crust, prick well with fork and bake at 450 deg until lightly golden brown.
- 11Pour into this crust lined dish part of the chicken and gravy mixture, then a layer of sliced egg, then more chicken and gravy and then sliced egg to come even to the top of the pan.
- 12Roll out top crust extra thick and cut to the size of the dish.
- 13Put on top of dish and seal edges.
- 14Cut small holes the size of a nickle on the top crust and use the holes to decorate.
- 15Brush melted butter over the top.
- 16Bake at 450 deg for 15 min, then lower temp to 350 and bake until brown and bubbly.
- 17(her notes exactly: do not be tempted to use a mix for the crust, because the crust makes the pie!).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamie's Chicken Pie
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.8
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 198.6 mg
- Sodium 634.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 34.0 g