Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe, which comes from Romania, is being posted as I get ready to take part in Zaar's World Tour 4! [NOTE as of 21 May 08: I initially posted this as an 'African' recipe, but that's definitely a mistake on my part -- It's Romanian!]
Top Review by littlemafia
My parents grew up on mamaliga,this was eaten instead of bread. Now it's made just occasionally to eat it with cheese and sour cream or with a chicken stew with onions. Mine is soaking in sour cream and I''ve had it with ricotta too. When I was a child,my dad use to form a ball out of it filled with goat's cheese. By the time I got to eat it,the cheese melted. So this is definetely Romanian.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, bring water to boil, then slowly add cornmeal.
- Use wooden spoon to continuously stir the mixture until smooth.
- Remove cornmeal mixture & transfer to a plate, pressing into a pancake.
- To serve, cover with butter, goat cheese &/or sour cream.