Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This great cornbread recipe has been in our family forever...it was my Mamaw Smith's favorite. Please be aware that it can be quite hot & spicy, especially for those who are not use to jalapeno peppers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix ALL ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown and well set.