1/2 Photos of Mamaw's Creamed Turkey over Toast
Bone Man's Note:
The day after Thanksgiving you can achieve the very pinnacle of comfort food! My mom ended up having to bake several turkeys a year just so we could get this stuff. Some very knowledgeable 'Zaarites helped me to ressurect it as the recipe had been lost.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large no-stick skillet, begin heating the milk, margarine and chicken stock over medium heat.
- 2Whisk in the flour right away, eliminating all lumps, and as it comes to a boil, it should thicken.
- 3Add the salt and pepper. (Black pepper is okay as a substitute).
- 4As it thickens, toss in the chopped turkey and stir carefully as to not break up the chunks too much.
- 5If it gets too thick, just add some milk and stir.
- 6As soon as the mix is thick enough to your liking, it is done. Turn off the heat and cover until serving.
- 7Serve over slices of toast or, make up some of your favorite biscuits instead.
- 8If you have some left-over turkey broth from the day before when the turkey was baked, use that instead of chicken stock.
- 9Note: the more dark meat, the better. It really adds to the flavor of this dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamaw's Creamed Turkey over Toast
Serving Size: 1 (1738 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.8
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 581.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 31.4 g