Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an old family favorite and has recently become the most requested recipe from all of my friends after they have tried it once. Everyone who tries it says it REDEFINES Macaroni and Cheese as they once knew it. This recipe won't let you down.
- 1 (1 lb) bag small elbow macaroni
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese (the large box)
- 1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1⁄2 gallon whole milk (not all will be used)
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- While cooking Macaroni, cut Velveeta into small pieces and get other ingredients open and ready to go.
- Drain Macaroni.
- Return Macaroni to large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add Velveeta Cheese, Butter, and Pet Milk.
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT QUIT STIRRING OR IT WILL SCORCH.
- Add Whole Milk to the level where the Macaroni is just covered.
- Keep stirring until all cheese and butter is totally melted and mixed.
- Turn off heat.
- Add Salt and Pepper (more or less if desired).
- Get ready for SOOOOOOO MANY COMPLIMENTS, you'll be shocked.
NOTE: The large box of Velveeta is 2 pounds. I did end up putting the 2 lbs in, but the sauce was still EXTREMELY thin. I took out quite a bit of it. The milk...I don't think I even used 1/2 of that half gallon. 1 pint or a quart should be sufficient, especially if you don't normally have whole milk around. It tasted ok, but there was a lot of wasted money in the ingredients/recipe the way it was submitted.