Recipe by Chef CPJ
I believe my husband's grandmother came up with this soup, and it was the first recipe I got from my mother in law. I had to have it! This is an easy soup to make, and is very filling. I make a pone of cornbread to serve with it and it's a complete meal.
Top Review by Diana #2
We are real tomato soups fans, but were disappointed with this version. I omitted the onion as the tomatoes (19oz tin) I used already had onion and garlic in it. The recipe worked up very quickly, which was wonderful. However, after adding the 2 cups of milk, the 'tomato' taste was very weak. It got quite thick as the recipe mentions, but adding water would make the tomato taste all but disappear. Instead I ended up adding a can of condensed tomato soup. Kind of defeated the purpose. Also, I omitted the butter, and also found that there was far too much pasta for our liking. The recipe might benefit from an additional tin of tomatoes. Sorry I couldn't give it more than 3 stars. I'm sure others would enjoy this as your family does and the previous reviewer, but it just wasn't suited for us. Made for TOTM - Red Tag.
- 1 (8 ounce) box macaroni and cheese mix (with the powdered cheese)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion (diced)
- water, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and tomatoes together until onion is tender (add water if need to finish cooking process).
- Cook macaroni noodles until tender (as directed on box).
- Drain and mix with tomato and onion.
- Add milk and cheese packet.
- Add butter/margarine and salt and pepper.
- Add water to achieve desired thickness (this cooks up real thick, so I usually add a couple of cups).
- Heat until boiling, then turn off the heat and let sit for a bit before serving.