Recipe by Nadine81
I went through EVERY tiramisu recipe on the site, and this one is different and is definitely worth trying. I had a Swiss Au Pair when I was a child and she taught me this recipe. I have made it every Christmas since from memory and this is the first time I've written it down, I usually guess quantities. If there was one recipe that I hope my kids will learn and pass on to future generations its this one! I use any spirits that are in my cabinet at the time of making so use whatever alcohol you like or leave it out if you prefer. I use a large trifle bowl.
- 5 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 200 ml cream
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 300 g boudoir biscuits, 1-2pkts (ladyfingers)
- 500 ml strong coffee, cooled slightly
- 100 ml brandy
- 300 g good dark chocolate, not cooking chocolate (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg yolks with half the sugar until light and pale.
- Whip the egg white with the remaining sugar until it reaches the soft peak stage.
- Whip the cream until it reaches soft peak stage.
- Loosen the mascarpone with a beater and combine the egg yolk and cream with the mascarpone.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Gently fold in the egg whites. You should have a very light fluffy mixture at this stage.
- Combine coffee and alcohol and dip the boudoir biscuits into the mixture as needed. (don't leave them soaking or they will fall apart).
- Build layers of biscuits, mascarpone mixture and grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.