1/1 Photo of Mama's Tear & Share Brioche
Um Safia's Note:
This is our family recipe for brioche. I make it in a cake tin so we can tear of individual pieces...have a look at the photos to see what I mean ;) This recipe is very easy to make & only has a few ingredients! If you don't have any vanilla sugar, put 1 or 2 vanilla pods in an airtight container with a bag of granulated sugar. I also have a Chocolate Tear & Share Brioche recipe.....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 g) packet dried fast action yeast
- 75 ml warm milk
- 2 free range eggs
- 8 ounces strong white bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1Mix the warm milk & yeast in a bowl. Leave to stand for a few minutes.
- 2Sift the 1oz of flour into the milk & yeast mix, add the 1 tsp of sugar & mix well. Leave to stand in a warm place for 10 mins or until frothy (will look a little like mousse!).
- 3While the starter is standing, sift the flour & salt into a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla sugar then rub in the butter. ( rub in method - rub the butter into the flour to create 'bread crumbs' - like you do with short crust pastry)).
- 4When the starter is frothy, whisk in the 2 eggs. When the eggs are fully incorporated, pour the mixture into mixing bowl & stir the ingredients until they come together to form a ball.
- 5Remove the ball of dough & knead on a lightly floured surface for a minute or until no longer sticky.
- 6Place the dough on a lightly floured dish or tray, cover & let rest in a warm place for around 90 minutes or until roughly doubled in size.
- 7When doubled in size, knead the dough again for another minute - just to knock the air out a bit.
- 8Dust a work surface with flour then divide the dough into 12 equal pieces ( cut dough into quarters then cut each quarter into thirds).
- 9Lightly grease a baking tin then place the balls inside - 3 in the middle of the tin & 9 around the edges - make sure there are spaces in between.
- 10Place in a preheated oven at 230 c for around 18 minutes. Start checking the brioche at 15 minutes, remove from oven when pale gold all over.
- 11Remove from tin & allow to cool.Put the icing sugar in a bowl and slowly add a tiny bit of hot water at a time, until you have a thick icing that you drizzle over the brioche. Slowly drizzle the icing over the brioch until it is almost covered.
- 12Tear off a piece when you want & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Tear & Share Brioche
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 112.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: