Recipe by Seasoned Cook
OUTSTANDING! My mother always knew how to season food and she was a great cook! The blend of the vegetables seasoned with chili powder makes this casserole go to the top of the scale!! You can go up or down with the amount of chili powder to suit your own spicy taste. You may like to change the spice to Italian seasoning and try that. I do it both ways.
- 2-3 small zucchini
- 29.58 ml butter
- 158.51 ml onion, minced
- 118.29 ml green pepper, diced
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 44.37 ml butter, melted
- 295.73 ml cracker crumbs (Ritz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini into 1/2 inch strips. Boil in salted water until tender. Drain.
- Melt butter and saute onion and green pepper in a sauce pan. Add tomatoes and chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes and add zucchini.
- Blend melted butter with cracker crumbs. Layer 1/2 of zucchini mixture, 1/2 of cracker crumbs and 1/2 of cheese.
- Add remaining zucchini mixture, 1/2 of cheese and 1/2 of cracker crumbs.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in a 340 degree oven.
- Note: Yellow squash may be substituted for zucchini.