Recipe by Halcyon Eve
This is adapted from my mom's spaghetti recipe. It's a family favorite that simmers while you prepare the pasta--great for busy nights. Leftovers make a great lunch. I usually serve this over spaghetti, but sometimes I use linguine, fettucine, or penne. Good with garlicky bread and a salad. You can also make the sauce ahead and freeze it (it freezes quite well); just thaw and heat.
Top Review by Lady Diana
My husband is Italian and his grandmother makes the best spaghetti and meatballs. He usually doesn't like anyone else's spaghetti but he loves this one! In fact my whole family likes this one! Since finding this recipe there is no more spaghetti sauce out of a jar in my house. This recipe is quick and easy and has so much more taste than those jared sauce! I use baby bella mushrooms in my sauce and add Italian sausage into the meat mix.
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (or use 2 small cans sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch brown sugar (optional)
- 2 (12 ounce) packages dry pasta
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in a saucepot or large, deep skillet over medium heat; drain.
- Add garlic and saute until just turning white.
- Add onion, celery, and mushrooms. Saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add tomato paste and mix together. Stir in herbs and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of brown sugar, if desired.
- Bring sauce to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Before serving, remove bay leaves and taste; adjust seasoning as desired. Serve over hot pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.