1/1 Photo of Mama's Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
Halcyon Eve's Note:
This is adapted from my mom's spaghetti recipe. It's a family favorite that simmers while you prepare the pasta--great for busy nights. Leftovers make a great lunch. I usually serve this over spaghetti, but sometimes I use linguine, fettucine, or penne. Good with garlicky bread and a salad. You can also make the sauce ahead and freeze it (it freezes quite well); just thaw and heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (or use 2 small cans sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch brown sugar (optional)
- 2 (12 ounce) packages dry pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1Brown beef in a saucepot or large, deep skillet over medium heat; drain.
- 2Add garlic and saute until just turning white.
- 3Add onion, celery, and mushrooms. Saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add tomato paste and mix together. Stir in herbs and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of brown sugar, if desired.
- 5Bring sauce to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- 6Before serving, remove bay leaves and taste; adjust seasoning as desired. Serve over hot pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.1
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 900.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
95% lean ground beef
mixed Italian herbs